One of the shipping methods that is becoming increasingly popular in the European countries is a door-to-door shipping delivery service. It allows the recipient to save time, as they receive their order directly in the office, in the manufacturing workshop, or in the warehouse. Besides that, this method minimizes costs, because there is no need for the consignee to tranship the items and provide the necessary transport to deliver them from the port or airport.
Advantages of the Door-to-Door Shipping Delivery
Saving time and money is not the only advantage of the door-to-door shipping delivery. There are many more besides:
- No need to go through exhausting documentation and customs clearance paperwork – the freight forwarder, that is, the transport and logistics company will deal with it.
- The freight will be delivered within a very short time. Short-distance door-to-door delivery service is provided mainly by truck that enables to carry your freight by road 24 hours a day and makes it possible not to depend on port and airport operation hours and to be affected by the weather in a smaller extent as compared with ships and aircraft.
- During the service processing, the consignor is aware of the precise ultimate shipping cost. This means that they will not suddenly have to pay hidden charges or extra payments. This approach allows for effective budget planning.
- The carrier is responsible for the integrity and safety of your shipped goods. Thus, most transport and logistics companies insure freights against all risks – from malicious product tampering to loss due to natural disasters.
Modes of Transport
A scheme for the transportation of freights may include different modes of transport (such transportation is called multimodal), for instance, sea and rail transport. However, it is possible to deliver the goods to the recipient’s office, manufacturing workshop or warehouse only by one mode of transport – by road. The point is that a motor vehicle can move in any place with a road and drive up to almost any facility. It’s not surprising that the volume of freight transport by road in Europe has a larger percentage (40% of all deliveries). The use of motor vehicles makes it possible to:
- Deliver goods to any place, including the steppes, deserts, even the jungle. The availability of a road network is the only condition for such transportation. For instance, the length of UK roads is almost 400 thousand kilometers. And the length of the world road network exceeds 23 million kilometers. Besides that, usually there are several different ways to get to any facility. This allows you to correctly build routes for the transportation of dangerous and oversized cargo. This makes it possible to create correct travel itineraries for dangerous and out-of-gauge cargo.
- To transport goods of various types. For instance, oil products, special-purpose machines and timber are transported in tanks, by low bed trucks and by timber trucks, respectively. You can choose the right motor vehicle for each transportation task.
It should also be noted that motor transportation can save your money. Reasonable fees for transport services are due, among other things, to a broad road network and route variability.