London history over 2000 years

London history over 2000 years

Roman London, the London Wall - Bevis Marks, East end

Roman London - the London wall

These pages are based on a "Royal Commission On Historical Monuments 1834" - actually it is 1928; which is in the public domain.

(13) . Bevis Marks, East end. In 1880 a stretch of about 70 feet of the wall was exposed and removed in the rebuilding at the back of No. 31 Houndsditch.
It formed the boundary at the back of the houses in Bevis Marks, and was standing to a height of 11 3/4 feet. Loftus Brock gives a section of this piece of the wall (Fig. 11) from which it appears that it was nearly 8 feet thick and differed slightly from the normal section already described. On the outside face there were two courses of squared rag below the plinth and four courses above it followed by a triple bonding-course and one course of rag, above which the face had been destroyed. On the inside face above the triple levelling-course of bricks were four courses of rag. the triple bonding-course without a set-back, five courses of rag and a second triple bonding-course.

Back wall at No 17 Bevis Marks - The Red Lion

Back wall at No 17 Bevis Marks - The Red Lion

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 17-Apr-2019 22:30:20 BST

London pub history directory.

Roman London, from Julius Caesar

Roman London - primitive plan

Roman London - the London city walls

Kings to 1065

Saxon London

Kings and Queens 1066 to date

More London

Londons lost Rivers

New Post Office

1832 Street directory

1843 Street directory

All 1899 pubs and beer

LCC 1918 Summary

1921 Street directory

The remains of the London Wall - circa 1926

Excavations of the London Wall

1940 Street directory

LONDON Pub History

Accessible Rail transport

Pubs 2018

London Gates